The movie "Groundhog Day" has impacted my life over the years. It's the story of a man who wakes up every day to find the same day repeating itself. He has to keep doing it over and over until he gets it right. Actually, it's makes me crazy to watch the poor guy struggle through the same day over and over again, but it sometimes says exactly what I'm thinking. So, here we are having "Groundhog Day." After four and 1/2 months at home, we're returning to the Democratic Republic of the Congo Kinshasa Mission. This is the mission to which we were called on our first mission. We're back in the same mission home apartment where we stayed the first four days of our last mission, the sky is still grey, the bread lady is still on the corner, the police are still ever present, and this world has changed very little. Last mission, after four days, we went to the Lubumbashi and then on to the new mission when it was created. But so many things are just as they were. The big difference is that now it's our home, Brent now has the responsibility to serve as the Mission President and I'm "the Mom" to 127 great young missionaries. Somehow all that hasn't registered yet and we just feel like it's "Groundhog Day." Fortunately our Groundhog day is a happy one, filled with wonderful missionaries and members. So, here we go again! Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Groundhog Day
The movie "Groundhog Day" has impacted my life over the years. It's the story of a man who wakes up every day to find the same day repeating itself. He has to keep doing it over and over until he gets it right. Actually, it's makes me crazy to watch the poor guy struggle through the same day over and over again, but it sometimes says exactly what I'm thinking. So, here we are having "Groundhog Day." After four and 1/2 months at home, we're returning to the Democratic Republic of the Congo Kinshasa Mission. This is the mission to which we were called on our first mission. We're back in the same mission home apartment where we stayed the first four days of our last mission, the sky is still grey, the bread lady is still on the corner, the police are still ever present, and this world has changed very little. Last mission, after four days, we went to the Lubumbashi and then on to the new mission when it was created. But so many things are just as they were. The big difference is that now it's our home, Brent now has the responsibility to serve as the Mission President and I'm "the Mom" to 127 great young missionaries. Somehow all that hasn't registered yet and we just feel like it's "Groundhog Day." Fortunately our Groundhog day is a happy one, filled with wonderful missionaries and members. So, here we go again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
We are so proud of you! You're going to be great! We've spoken about the movie "Groundhog Day" many times on our missions, because there is a sense of routine that settles in on occasion. We understand . . . May our Heavenly Father's choicest blessings be with you as you begin this wonderful service together!
How fun for you to be back in your beloved Africa! I bet there are many, many people who are glad you are having a Ground Hog Day by reappearing in their lives. I had the Las Vegas Mission President and his wife on my plane today, headed for Reno to visit the missionaries there. I told them about your mission and then gave them two huge sacks of peanuts to give out to their missionaries in Reno. There must be some kind of an object lesson somewhere...YOU would think of it! Have a wonderful week...we love you!
Oh I am so excited to be reading about your life again! I met a girl at the store (here in Provo) who's father is from the Congo and mother from Burundi! She is beautiful! In face, I think I'll call her right now and give her your blog address!
Love to you!
Hallelujah!!! So happy to see you can blog. I have been watching and watching with great hopefulness that you would be able to start blogging again. What a wonderful opportunity to serve our Savior in this area of His vineyard. As always, our prayers are with you, daily! Love you two! Holly & Dwight
Hallelujah!!! So glad to see that you can blog during your mission! I've been waiting and watching with great hopefulness that your blogging days may resume. What a wonderful opportunity for service to our Savior in this area of the Lord's vineyard! We are so happy for you two! We love ya! Holly and Dwight
WELOCME HOME!
Welcome Home!
Post a Comment