Fortunately, we brought two computers and the church had one here for Brent to use, so I'll not be cut off entirely from the world. Just a lot of rearranging, setting up and then lots of picture taking to try and at least try to recapture the Kinshasa mission.
Today is a very SAD day in the Congo!!
UPDATE- I was just able to recover things from before we left for the Congo in July.Our hard drive was backed up just before we left. So, we have all our old mission pictures and quite a few things are back. We just lost the last 7 weeks. It could be worse.
UPDATE #2-I took my laptop to JoBurg and our great IT friend, Graham Walker, had his guys work on it for two day. NO LUCK! But I'm quite satisfied that I have all the things that were in it in July. The rest of the places we've been, we'll be again and I did just catch up on my blog just before losing all the pictures. The documents for the mission can mostly be recreated. Now I just need to really learn the whole backup thing!!
LAST UPDATE-So, we thought that we'd bring the computer home and just hang onto it to see if our sons at home could recover anything when we got home from our mission. We put it in a checked suitcase and when we got to Kinshasa the suitcase felt light, so Brent opened it. YES, the laptop was STOLEN someplace between JoBurg and Kinshasa by some airport employee! The thieves got a big surprise we they tried to use their stolen laptop and we got very annoyed, but except of a new battery, no great loss. The final chapter of the laptop is written. There is no recovery of lost or stolen items on African airlines. The rule is thumb is "too bad!"
4 comments:
I'm so sorry, Mom. That is horrible! Tomorrow will be better! :)
Don't give up - take it to So Africa when you go and get that great techi there to see if he can at least pull off your pics. Can't remember his name Dillon or something like that.
We brought a external drive that we back all things up to just in case such a thing happens.
Ugh. Car trouble and computer trouble. My two worst things!
So glad you were able to retrieve some of the things on the computer and that you had backed up everything before you leeft this time. I have a seperate external drive called My Book that I put all of my pictures on because I am so afraid of that very thing happenning to me.
Post a Comment