There is an African phenomenon that fascinates us. We can't figure out how this works, but it does. There are some things that we just should import!
One of the traditional dress styles in the Congo has a big fabric wrap that goes around a dress or skirt and blouse. Women tie this big scarf around their waist when it's not being used and it's very fashionable. Sometimes it's made of the same material as the outfit. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it doesn't even match at all. But it's all OK because the wrap is the most practical thing in all of Africa.
You see women use it around their heads. We thought that maybe it was the answer to a bad hair day. But then we were told that wearing a head scarf is a sign of honor and you can only do it when you are a mother or are aged or in some other way have earned the honor of wearing it that way.
They use it to bundle things that they need to carry on their head or sling over their back.
They wrap up in it when they're cold, use it as a shade when they're hot, protect themselves when it rains or is windy and dusty. They use it to wipe off chairs before they sit down and clean children's messy faces with it.
BUT it's greatest purpose is for carrying their babies, who are too young to walk.
They have a most amazing way of carrying their children on their backs.
They just lean forward, put the child on their back, and throw the wrap around the baby. They tuck it in front at the top and then again at the bottom . They don't even tie it. Then they're set to go! We haven't figured out why the babies don't fall off when being wrapped, or how they stay tucked in and don't come unwrapped and fall out or squirm their way out while their Mothers are walking, but they don't. Actually, they just seem to be totally relaxed and are asleep most of the time.
This lady did a demonstration for me of how she wraps her baby and tucks in the fabric. I could not see why that baby didn't just tumble to the ground. But it was there all day.
Since African families are large, there are woman everywhere with babies on their backs. A family of 8-10 children is not at all uncommon. Sometimes I think that every woman of child bearing age either has a baby or is pregnant, or both. They walk around town with both arms full of things, something on their head, a child in each hand and one on their back. It's amazing!
Three little ones!
They work while carrying a child this way. The ladies at the toll booths who come to sell you things all have a child strapped to their back.
Even little girls carry their siblings on their backs.
It's just amazing, very practical and totally Congolese.
2 comments:
Lorraine- Cannon and I say "Happy Birthday"!! We think it's so fun that you two share the same special day. He and his Grandpa do as well, so it's always a special event. What makes it even more special this year is that Cannon turns 12. He is so excited and ready to be a Deacon. Thanks for the part you have played in his life. He really is a great kid. Our love and best wishes to you!!
oh my goodness! I am so happy that I found your blog link on Jennifer's facebook page! I love reading about your mission and seeing your pictures. Isnt' Africa amazing? I love to see the growth of the Church there and that YOU are a part of it!
I'll be in Ethiopia in March. OH how I wish I could come to the Congo. Love and prayers and many,many blessings! Love Jennifer Brinkerhoff
Post a Comment